|Previous Item||Next Item|
|April 12, 2018 City Council Regular Meeting|
8. Motion to Amend the Zoning Ordinance Regarding the Savannah Historic District (Petitioner: Planning Commission)
This zoning hearing was continued from the City Council meetings of January 4, 2018 and February 14, 2018. As requested by the City Council, open houses were conducted on March 21 and March 28 at the MPC. Additionally, MPC Staff met with numerous stakeholders during this time. On April 4, the Savannah Historic District Board of Review held a special called meeting to review the public comments on the proposed revisions to the Historic District Ordinance. As a result of public comments, the sustainability criterion for a bonus story has been strengthened to require LEED Gold Certification, the active use definition has been further refined, the vehicle drop off area standard has been further refined, and several clarifications were made to various standards.
MPC Staff, Petitioner (File No. 17-006200-ZA), has proposed text amendments to the Historic District Ordinance (Sec. 8-3030) that will serve to:
1) Correct typographical errors;
2) Clarify definitions;
3) Add/revise standards to address changing technologies;
4) Allow ‘R’ zoning districts outside the Landmark District to qualify for a bonus story;
5) Strengthen the bonus story criteria, particularly in regards to the ‘active use’ criterion;
6) Add additional standards for large-scale development;
7) Provide the Historic District Board of Review (HDBR) some flexibility in the strict application of certain standards;
8) Strengthen the standards applicable to monumental buildings to ensure the protection of the Oglethorpe Plan;
9) Revise the boundaries of the “Factors Walk Character Area” to reflect the historical boundaries of Factors Walk; and
10) Require that amendments to the Historic District Ordinance are reviewed by the HDBR in addition to MPC and City Council.
On December 12, 2017, the Planning Commission voted to recommend approval of the proposed revisions.
Bridget Lidy, Director of Planning and Urban Design
Planning Commission Recommendation 20171212 Savannah Historic District Ordinance Text Amendment 17-006200-ZA.pdf
Planning Commission Recommendation 20180405 Savannah Historic District Text Amendment 17-006200-ZA.pdf
Draft Ordinance Savannah Historic District Ordinance Text Amendment 17-006200-ZA.pdf
Draft Ordinance Savannah Historic District Ordinance Text Amendment 17-006200-ZA with highlights.pdf